Smorgasbord - Politics, Lisp, Rails, Fencing, etc.

My musings on assortment of things ranging from politics, computer technology and programming to sports.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006


On this day:

Fencing in India

Last day I went for fencing classes in Kolkata Maidan area. Unfortunately the state of fencing in India is pretty bad, not only are the fencing association short on funds and resources, there is a lack of quality coaches and even the standards are very low. Also, most people have very vague idea about fencing, when I initially told my family members about it, they thought I was talking about putting a barrier, or a boundary around something, rather than the modern sport of swordfighting.

I have only a week and half of fencing training behind me (2 classes at ASU and 1 here), and still I was asked if I am interested in representing West Bengal in the National Fencing Championship at Hyderabad. It reflects more on the low standard of fencing in West Bengal than my fencing ability.