In this post I describe how to setup wxCL on a Windows machine.
LeAnthony Mathews was having a real hard time setting up wxCL, along with the Lisp in Box, so I decided to write step by step instructions to do so. These instructions are not meant to be used with Lisp in Box but they can be combined with it.
- Download clisp 2.36 and install it somewhere on the hard drive, say `c:/clisp-2.36'.
- Download asdf
and put it somewhere, say in the folder called
- Download asdf-install,
untar it (winzip can be used) into the `c:/clisp-2.36/library/' folder.
- Go to the home directory, say `C:/Documents and Settings/Owner'
or it might be different depending upon your windows user name, and Create a file
named `.clisprc.lisp', this is an initialization file for clisp.
Add the following code:
#-:asdf (load "C:/clisp-2.36/library/asdf")
(pushnew "C:/clisp-2.35/library/asdf-install/" asdf:*central-registry* :test #'equal)
#-:asdf-install (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :asdf-install)
- Start command prompt. Start clisp, either by just typing `clisp' if it is on your windows path variable, or by typing
`c:/clisp-2.36/clisp. You should see that while starting clisp loads
various asdf-install files, and finally .clisprc.lisp. If not, then you
did not create the `.clisprc.lisp' file in the right place.
Download latest release, currently wxcl-1.2.0.tar.gz and store it somewhere, say `C' drive. If the extension of the file doesn't appears as above then change it to end with `.tar.gz'.
- Now on your lisp prompt type
This will show you three options select the second one (personal
installation). Now, asdf-install will hang don't worry use Ctrl-Z to
- Now if you look into the folder `C:/Documents and Settings/Owner'
there will be a sub-folder named `.asdf-install-dir'. Go into it,
inside it there is another sub folder `site', go into that, and now
untar `wxcl-1.2.0.tar.gz' right there.
Any asdf installable package can be uncompressed and put there, and
asdf will find it.
- Now edit the file wxcl/src/defpackage.lisp so that the variable
library name contains the absolute file path.
(defconstant +library-name+ "../lib/wxc-msw2.6.2.dll")
change the above to
(defconstant +library-name+ "C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/.asdf-install-dir/site/wxcl/lib/wxc-msw2.6.2.dll")
- Now go to command prompt, change the directory so that you are in
the wxcl/examples directory. Start clisp, and then type
- This will load and compile wxcl, and start the hello world
example. Similarly you can load other examples.